Board of Commissioners of Public Lands

University Fund

In 1838, Congress granted to the Territory of Wisconsin the equivalent of two townships, or 72 square miles of land, to be sold to support a university. In 1854, Congress granted more land—an additional two townships—to benefit a university.

This Summary of Trust Assets provides an overview of the origins, investments, earnings, and distributions of all four Trust Funds, including the University Fund.

Principal

Most of these lands were sold soon after Wisconsin obtained title, and no provision was made for adding to the principal. Therefore, the principal balance of the University Fund does not change from year to year.

Beneficiary

Fund earnings are distributed to the University of Wisconsin annually.